Is 2010 over yet? Really- I think this year has been cursed! Where to begin with the past couple of months??
Quick run down- Surgery, Georgia sick, Me sick, Thanksgiving, visiting with Michael, trip to Naples (Brilliant idea one week post surgery & sick), Trip to New Jersey & New York with Georgia- amazing trip and had so much fun in the city together. I'd never seen the city at Christmas time and it was such an awesome experience to see it with my daughter all dressed up for the holidays!
annnd catch my breath! Tuesday I was back at work thinking to myself "Wow, I finally fell normal again from the surgery! This is going to be a great week- Georgia and I will be able to hang out since I've finished all my Christmas shopping and be able to relax! Things are finally back to normal".
WRONG....
A call came in yesterday about 2:30pm from the management office of my apartment complex. "Hi, Melanie, we are calling to let you know it looks like your apartment has been broken into."
What do you say to that? I can tell you what happens- you go into a state of shock. Once again you go through the motions. My dad and I left the office and drove over to the complex. Let me just say right now I chose this complex for safety. I specifically chose my apartment for the proximity to the garage and the "open-ness" of it. It is not hidden. A police officer lives within the same courtyard I live in. So I thought I was safe.
On the way there I thought of all the material possessions I had in my apartment. How my mom and I just had a conversation last week discussing how I needed to get a safety deposit box at the bank to put my jewelery in. The Christmas Presents wrapped under the tree. Designer bags, shoes, clothes in the closet. I can tell you I imagined the worst- my Christmas China crashed and broken on the floor, my drawers dumped out. I imagined total and complete destruction. Since my dad was following me he called on the way there. "Listen" He said, "Anything you thought was important will be gone. You need to prepare yourself for this. It will be okay. We will make it okay, but don't let this get to you." So I steeled myself.
We arrived the same time at the police and walked over to the apartment together. The front door had been kicked in. I held my breath as the door was opened and looked inside. When you first peered in it looked as though nothing had been touched. Once inside every electronic I owned was gone. TV's, Laptop, Camera's (Yes, my favorite still what I considered "new" DSLR and all my point and shoots) iPods, Georgia's Leapster systems that hooked up to the TV. Louis Vuitton Bags, Coats even, My down comforter and sheets (apparently to wrap the TV's in as they carried them out the door). My entire Jewelery Box- just picked up off the counter and gone. And the worst part- every single Christmas gift I had purchased for Georgia and wrapped under the tree.
My favorite Christmas movie growing up was "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" and there I was standing in my living room imagining a Grinch- like creature slithering about my place "Then he slithered and slunk with a smile most unpleasant, around the whole room and he took every present". Playing through my head on repeat..."You're a monster, Mr. Grinch. You're heart's an empty hole. You're brain is full of spiders, you've got garlic in your soul..."
And just like that- everything is gone.
Georgia and I packed up what was left that had any value to it and moved on. We stayed at my dad's last night and I am about to go see if I can break my lease and move out hopefully this weekend. I feel completely disgusted. I had not made Georgia's bed yesterday before school and work so some of her blankets were on the floor. First thing I did was strip down her bed and wash and dry her blankets and sheets. Then I cover the entire apartment with Clorox wipes trying to clean it.
Maybe sometimes you need to purge yourself of things in order to move on. All those material things that went through my mind on my way over don't really mean anything. They belong in a life I don't live in anymore.
"You have to let go of the past to move on to the future".Dear God, I'm letting go.
Wednesday, December 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh Melanie, my heart is breaking for you. I have been stolen from before and it makes you feel so volunerable and discusted that someone would do that to you. I am so sorry, but I admire your strength and determination to move forward. You are right about the material things from a "past" life. I let go of so much when I moved on and it was the best thing for me. The important thing is you and Georgia are safe!
Post a Comment